Reply To: Are retrocausal accounts of entanglement unnaturally fine-tuned?

Home Forums 2015 International Workshop on Quantum Foundations Retrocausal theories Are retrocausal accounts of entanglement unnaturally fine-tuned? Reply To: Are retrocausal accounts of entanglement unnaturally fine-tuned?

Ken Wharton

Hi Dustin; Thanks for the kind words!

As for giving the Wood-Spekkens argument too much credit… If there was an existing retrocausal model they were attacking, that gave the right probabilities already, I’d certainly agree with you. But they’re framing it as an argument against trying to develop such a model in the first place. And since most people’s instincts are aligned against retrocausality to start with, I think it’s an argument that many people would be inclined to accept. So I’m not inclined to dismiss it quite so readily.

And I do think it’s a reasonable argument… after all, I still can’t quite answer it definitively, because moving to partially-entangled states breaks some of the symmetries that make the two-particle version of Schulman’s model work so nicely. A closely related issue, that I’m having even more trouble with, is framing classes of retrocausal models for which you can’t signal into the past. (You can see some of the above discussion with Nathan relating to this point).

Cheers!

Ken

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.