Meaning of the Wave Function

Primitive Ontology in a Nutshell

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Valia Allori
    Participant

The aim of the paper is to explore a particular approach on how to read off the metaphysics from fundamental physical theories: the primitive ontology approach. According to this view, any fundamental physical theory has a well-defined architecture, to the foundation of which there is the primitive ontology, which represents matter. The primitive ontology constitutes the building blocks of everything else in the world, while the other variables in the theory are useful to implement the law of evolution for the primitive ontology.

(see attached pdf files: 1-short version of the paper; 2-slides; 3-longer version of the paper)

Valia Allori
    Participant

Please find attached a longer version of the paper.

editor
    Keymaster

We may discuss Valia’s papers here after her talk on Skype, which is on live at URL http://www.ijqf.org/archives/841. You may listen to her talk and see her ppt slides (see above attachments) on your computer at the same time.

editor
    Keymaster

Valia is online now. If anybody has questions about her papers, we can discuss here.

OK, since I have been outed as a lurker by Shan, let me ask how you would describe the role of the non-primitive ontology in a theory that does not support a division into states at a given time and dynamics? You previously suggested that the role of the non primitive ontology is to compute how the primitive ontology evolves in time, but what would you say in a non globally hyperbolic spacetime for example?

Shan, I should also comment that piping the audio from Skype into Google Hangouts, which is what I assume you are doing, does not work very well. Your audio is OK, but Valia and Richard were quite difficult to hear.

editor
    Keymaster

I should improve this in the future. I think Google Hangout is better. Thanks Matt!

Valia Allori
    Participant

could you please tell me a little more about what you have in mind?

Valia Allori
    Participant

If I understand correctly your question, I would say that in a theory directly framed in spacetime rather than in 3-d space the nPO variables would help to close the dynamics for the spacetime histories of the PO (like in GRWf)

OK, yes that is roughly what I meant.

Richard Healey
    Participant

I’ve got to go now. The Skype call just dropped!

editor
    Keymaster

Sorry, my internet contact for Skype is broken. I am trying to restore the system.

Valia Allori
    Participant

Thank you for your questions and helpful comments! 🙂

editor
    Keymaster

OK, we may discuss Valia’s papers later on this forum. Thank you all for your participance!

Valia Allori
    Participant

I need to go now. But if you guys have other questions, please post them and I will get to them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.