Do measurements yield results in Bohm’s theory?

Home Forums 2015 International Workshop on Quantum Foundations Bohm’s theory Do measurements yield results in Bohm’s theory?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

In Bohm’s theory, the standard result assumption is that the relative configuration of Bohmian particles (i.e. positions of all of the particles relative to one another) representes the measurement result. In this paper, I present a new objection to this assumption. It is argued that there is no definite correlation between the particle configuration of the measuring device and the measured quantity after a measurement in Bohm’s theory. Since the pointer state that is eligible to represent a measurement result is required to have a definite correlation with the measured quantity, this result seems to imply that the standard result assumption cannot be true. Moreover, it is argued that a probabilistic correlation cannot solve this problem of indefinite-ness for Bohm’s theory. The Bohmian law of motion is deterministic, and the theory does not provide a random dynamics that may realize the probabilistic correlation. Finally, I suggest that in order to avoid the above difficulty, Bohm’s theory needs to be revised by using a new equation of motion for the Bohmian particles to describe the interactions between quantum systems.

Full text: https://www.academia.edu/36008985/Do_measurements_yield_results_in_Bohms_theory

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.