Reply To: Retrocausal Bohm Model

Hi Nathan,
I’ve had trouble submitting a reply to your question electronically, but I seem to be managing now.
The short answer to your question is that my model is simply an “add-on” to quantum mechanics and so just assumes the Born rule for probabilities as part of the pre-existing formalism. Yes, I would certainly like to see a more fundamental derivation of this rule, but my personal opinion is that none of the interpretations of QM have succeeded in doing this in a way that is rigorous and generally accepted.
In the case of the standard Bohm model, all the maths seems to tell us is that if we start with the Born distribution then this distribution will persist through time. My understanding is that attempts have been made to show that other distributions will decay with time to the right one, but that these attempts have not been fully convincing. So it seems to me that the usual model is essentially just resorting to the rules of QM too. It is true that the Bohm theory of measurement is impressive and constitutes an advance (in my opinion), but again a similar version can be formulated for the my model (Sec. 13 in my 2008 paper). In particular, given the initial probability distribution for position provided by my model, the maths ensures that this distribution is maintained through time.
Finally, concerning non-standard distributions, I would have thought that both models are on the same footing in being able to accommodate them.
Anyway, this time it’s my turn to ask if I’m understanding things correctly.
Best wishes,
Rod

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.