Reply To: A Relativistic Symmetrical Interpretation of the Dirac Equation in (1+1) D (online 7/9 @ 11pm UTC-7)

Home Forums 2015 International Workshop on Quantum Foundations Retrocausal theories A Relativistic Symmetrical Interpretation of the Dirac Equation in (1+1) D (online 7/9 @ 11pm UTC-7) Reply To: A Relativistic Symmetrical Interpretation of the Dirac Equation in (1+1) D (online 7/9 @ 11pm UTC-7)

Michael B. Heaney
Participant

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your question!
Let us first review the Conventional Interpretation (CI) of QM: Consider an electron that is localized as a gaussian wavefunction psi(x,0) around x=0cm at t=0s. What is the probability that this electron will later be found localized as a gaussian wavefunction phi(x,10) around x= 25cm at t=10s? The CI calculates this probability by first multiplying phi*(x,10) by psi(x,10) to get the “complex transition amplitude density,” then integrating this complex transition amplitude density phi*(x,10)psi(x,10) over all space to get the complex transition amplitude A, then multiplying A by A* to get the transition probability.

In my interpretation of QM, I allow the “complex transition amplitude density” to vary with time: phi*(x,t)psi(x,t). Integrating this over all space and then multiplying the result by its complex conjugate gives exactly the same result as the CI. I interpret phi*(x,t)psi(x,t) as what is really happening between measurements.

Does this clear up your confusion?

Regards,

Michael

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.