Reply To: What are the most pressing problems? and how to solve them?

Home Forums 2015 International Workshop on Quantum Foundations Panel Discussion What are the most pressing problems? and how to solve them? Reply To: What are the most pressing problems? and how to solve them?

Ruth Kastner
Participant

With all due respect to Carlo (whose work on emergence I find very interesting): as I have noted in reply to Mark’s post under the upcoming workshop, it is certainly not necessarily a “mistake” to take the quantum state as ontic just because people have not succeeded in solving the measurement problem with the usual approaches to QM. I do hope we can refrain from casting aspersions on other points of view by calling them ‘prejudices’ or ‘confusion’. I certainly don’t agree with some approaches but I try to adduce specific logical arguments when critizing them, and methodological considerations in proposing my own approach and suggesting why I think it is a better way than others. Clearly there is a huge diversity of views on how to interpret QM, but I think we can do better than using pejoratives and (at least borderline) ad hominem descriptions to characterize those with which we do not agree.

Also, I have to note regarding Dieter’s proposed taxonomy, one does not need to modify the basic quantum dynamics to account for collapse. So one needs a 1(c): collapse in a direct-action picture in which absorption precipitates collapse (no ad hoc modification to the basic Schrodinger evolution)

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.